Torsten Helbig, Exploration – Resources and Performance Management, Wintershall Holding GmbH
The Original Quote:
„Wintershall sieht ein grosses Potential in den Technologien, die sich derzeit unter dem Begriff „Industrie 4.0“ entwickeln. Die Nutzung von Deep Learning und künstlicher Intelligenz ist für uns besonders im Bereich Exploration und der Analyse von Seismischen Daten von grossem Interesse. Das VRGeo-Konsortium ist daher für uns eine gute Möglichkeit, an der Entwicklung dieser Technologien mitzuwirken. Wir versprechen uns dadurch auch eine nachhaltigere Suche nach Kohlenwasserstoffen.“
“Wintershall sees great potential in the technologies that are currently developing under the term ‘Industry 4.0’. The use of deep learning and artificial intelligence is of particular interest to us in the field of exploration and analysis of seismic data. The VRGeo Consortium is therefore a great opportunity for us to participate in the development of these technologies. We also expect a more sustainable search for hydrocarbons.”
Marek Czernuszenko, ExxonMobil Exploration Company, Data Center of Excellence
Our benefits from a VRGeo Consortium membership:
- Cost effective way to evaluate new technologies: virtual reality, responsive workbench, touch tablets, creation and visualization of geologic outcrop models, tracking systems, user interfaces, speech recognition etc.
- Arranged visits to companies and universities: Ford, Miele, Univ. of Aachen, and others
- Ability to experience and test new technologies
- Learnings from these visits were incorporated into the design of our Training Center Visualization System, Energy Center Visualization System, and 7 campus visualization rooms
- Incorporated several technologies and techniques from VRGeo into our systems:
- Speech recognition
- Graphical user interfaces
- User interactions
- Learned about vendor technologies which were showcased during meetings
- Learned about competitors’ research and technology activities
I have always enjoyed interacting with VRGeo – so many new ideas, new technologies, unique approaches.
Jens Grimsgaard, Leading Researcher Geophysics Interpretation, Statoil ASA
“VRGeo is a perfect forum to discuss, experience and influence technology development within oil & gas science.”
In: From Mega-Cell to Giga-Cell Reservoir Simulation, Dr. Ali H. Dogru: Saudi Aramco Journal of Technology, pp. 63-70, Spring 2008.
“…Saudi Aramco scientists have developed a billion cell reservoir simulationvisualization technology, … , by adopting Fraunhofer Institute’s Octreemizerproduct. Up to a few billion cell models can easily be visualized in three dimensions using the new technology. Users can rotate the image and generate two dimensional cross sections at desired locations of the three dimensional image of a reservoir property (i.e. pressure or permeability, etc.) by a mouse click. Generating images takes a few seconds only. This product allows engineers geologist to analyze the input and output of a giga-cell simulation in practical times.”
Knut Hansch, Principal Geophysicist, Canamens Energy AS, formerly with BP
“Identification of opportunities to improve our current technology. Ability to test future concepts which might offer technology step changes. Forum to discuss visualization topics with a diverse group of visualization experts. Interaction between research, users, software and hardware providers.”